THL Toolbox > Scanning & OCR > Scanning Texts > Scanning Karmapa Dege Kangyur and Tengyur
Contributor(s): Than Grove, Ben Deitle, Adam Newman
Karmapa Kangyur Reprint Scanning Instructions. 2008-07-29
- Where: Scholar’s Lab
- Machine: IBM at first station ALD419-502
- Scanner: Fujitsu fi-5220c
- Note: Get there early, as close to 8am as possible; this scanner is very popular
- Takes about 1 hour to scan 100 pages (that is, 200 total sides) using the automatic document feeder.
- Software: Adobe Photoshop
- Go to: File>Import>Fujitsu fi-5220c
- Twain Driver: Long page (duplex) (note: this must be changed manually when Photoshop is first opened; thereafter it remains the chosen option)
- Long Page Paper Size Setting: 4.750+21.500 inches (note: this must be changed manually when Photoshop is first opened; thereafter it remains the chosen option)
- Resolution: 600px/in; Length:15235px; Width=2720px
- Image Mode: Black and White (note: this should already be the default)
- Remove English title pages, so that scan begins at page “1”
- Scan from end of volume, last page first
- Insert so that highest page is face down with numbered-edge inserted into adf
- 25-30 sheets or less in adf: if pages do not feed, first try resetting the sheets in the adf; if this does not work remove some sheets and put less per batch in the adf. 25 sheets (that is 50 numbered pages) seems to work well.
- Press “scan”
- Check each sheet as it comes through the scanner. Make sure only one sheet at a time feeds.
Saving as .tiff with macro (download THDL.atn):
- Close Twain Driver
- File>Automate>Batch… Play.
- Set: THDL.atn
- Action: SaveTHDLPageScan
- Source: Opened Files
- Destination: Folder
- Choose: Desktop>new folder>karmapa-kg-v000 (ie., 001, 002, etc.)
- Override Action “Save As” Commands: Check
- Document name: “karmapa-kg-v001-p” + 4 Digit Serial Number + extension. Note: as of 1 June 2009, the format for the file name should be kt-d-v001-p####.extension (kt=name of the collection, kangyur-tengyur; d=Dege version). Since we have scanned more than one printing of the Dege Kangyur, the Karmapa version has the siglum "d" and the Library of Congress version has the siglum "d1"
- Start serial #: begin with “1”; all subsequent must begin with number on page (ie., all filename serial #s must match the page number of the blockprint. Example: blockprint page 51 will have the starting serial number “51”.)
- Press: OK
Note: The macro saves the images as both .tiff and .jpeg files
Note: the macro is saved as THDL.atn at Collab>Resources>Kangyur Photoshop Macro. To activate macro place THDL.atn on Desktop, then go to action pallete>Load Actions>THDL.atn file>Load
- Option 1: Save after every batch of approximately 35 sheets. NOTE: must manually input page number beginning from last page scanned. Filename numbers must match page numbers on printed.
- Option 2: Save after half a volume has been scanned (approximately 20 minutes). NOTE: must manually input page number beginning from last page scanned. Filename numbers must match page numbers on printed.
- Option 3: Save after entire volume has been scanned (approximately 40 minutes)
- Zip folder: right-click>WinZip>Add to Zip
- Export Zip file to: Collab>Canons>Canons Resources>Karmapa Kangyur Scans
- Notification: choose High-All Participants