THL Toolbox > Tibetan Texts > Cataloging a Tibetan Text > Converting Entries > Setting up the Converter
Contributor(s): THL Staff.
The following steps need to be taken to install the converter on your computer. Note that this new converter works is different from previous versions and works in a different way. If you were using a version prior to Feb. 2007, you should reinstall the converter.
- If you do not have a Java Runtime Environment installed on your computer, you need to install it. You can check if you have the JRE at Java and you can download it at Java Download.
- You must also have a Unicode Tibetan font. See the Tibetan Fonts and Input page.
- Download the converter zip file: Bibliographic Record Converter
- Place it in a new, empty folder dedicated to conversion of bibliographic records.
- Extract the entire contents of the zip file into the folder above. This populates the empty folder with a number of files plus two folders. The folders are:
- xmlforms: this folder contains the XML templates used to create XML files from the information in the Word tables.
- docs: this folder is where the Word docs that are the source files are placed prior to conversion.
Once this is done, if you have catalog records already created, you can proceed to Performing a Conversion of Bibliographic Records.
- The xmlforms folder is where all xml templates will be placed. The converter will come with some currently-used templates in this folder. As other editions are cataloged, new templates will become available, and these can be placed directly in the xmlforms folder and the converter used in the same way.
- The placement of the xmlforms folder is different from previous versions of the converter. Previously the templates where placed in the folder at C://xml/forms/. Now they are place in proximity to the converter so that new templates can easily be added.
- During the conversion process, the converter will create a folder called XML_Files that will contain the converted XML files.