THL Toolbox > Server Issues > Orion Access
Most of THL's data is on the Library's Orion server. These are secure servers because of security issues, and hence no one without a UVA computing ID and special software can directly access them. However, for core participants who require frequent access to THL's servers, who are technically competent with HTML/XML and FTP, and who are completely dependable, we do have a means to arrange such access. This must be repeated each year or the account will lapse. If you already have a UVa Computing ID, you can just use that.
- A fulltime THL Staff or Faculty makes a request to library IT via the Scholar's Lab contact form, selecting for the Category drop-down menu "Scholarly Collaboration and Quandu":
to be given an account on Orion so that s/he can access THL files there in.
- The email gives the UVa ITC ID for the person, the person's name, his/her status and work done in THL, and specifies what directories they need access to - most generally the THL directory in lv1
- Dennis responds, and if he approves, provides a password for the User to access Orion
- Log into Scripta: follow the directions on the page User Accounts and Issues (scroll down to the section "Validating Your Library User Account on Scripta")
If the user is going to access orion from an off-campus location, then they need to get a program called Cisco VPN Client (specifically, the UVa Anywhere service) which allows their computer to set up a special secure connection to UVa that allows them to do work as if they were on a campus networked computer. Supposedly it works for Mac OS, though we haven't tested this ourselves. The procedure takes a little time but is simple:
- Go to http://www.itc.virginia.edu/network/vpn/
- Follow the instructions
- Install a UVa Digital Certificate, following the instructions
- Install the VPN Client, following the instructions
- Restart your computer and open the VPN client, and connect to UVa Anywhere.
If it all works, you should be connected and into the UVa campus network.
Everyone, whether off campus or on campus, needs to have a secure FTP program in order to navigate to Orion and do file transfers. ITC provides a free program called Secure FX for Windows users; for Mac OS, use Fugu. See Secure FTP Program for details.
Once you have your computing ID, are on the campus network, and have a secure FTP program installed, you are ready to go. To get into ORION:
- Open up your FTP program
- Set the protocol to SFTP, set the directory to orion.lib.virginia.edu, enter your ID and password
- You should now be into ORION. At its root level, go to the folder lv1, and in that "THL". That is where the main THL Web page files are located.
Provided for unrestricted use by the Tibetan and Himalayan Library