THL Toolbox > Reference > Dictionaries > Tibetan Translation Tool > Dictionaries Available
Contributor(s): Andres Montano.
The dictionary content can be accessed on-line and off-line through all versions of the translation tool. The All-In-One Online Installer and the All-In-One Offline Installer (Windows 98/ Me/ NT/ 2000/ XP/ 2003 only) include the dictionary pack for off-line use by default and provide the easiest installation method.
Non-windows users wishing to access the dictionaries off-line must manually install them in your computer following these simple steps:
1. Download the dictionary bundle from here.
2. Unzip it into any local folder. It should produce a folder called thl-dicts with three files inside: thl.def, thl.dic, and thl.wrd
4. Go to File -> Open -> Access Local Dictionary -> Browse.
5. Go to the thl-dicts folder wherever you unpacked the bundle and select the thl.wrd file and choose Open.
6. Make sure "Use these settings as default" is checked.
7. Click on Ok. You can now use the translation tool without an internet connection.
The Tibetan dictionaries freely available for immediate on-line use and/or download for off-line use are:
- Jeffrey Hopkins' Tibetan-Sanskrit-English Dictionary version 2.0.0
- A Tibetan-Sanskrit Table of Buddhist Terminology based on the Yogacarabhumi by Yokoyama, Koitsu & Hirosawa, and Takayuki
- Tibetan Vocabulary by Dan Martin version April 14, 2003
- Jim Valby's Dictionary
- Ives Waldo's Dictionary
- Richard Barron's Tibetan-English Word List
- The Rangjung Yeshe Tibetan-English Dictionary of Buddhist Culture version 3.0
Third parties who are compiling and distributing Tibetan dictionaries are welcome to get in contact to arrange the distributions of their dictionaries through this multi-platform utility.