THL Toolbox > Tibetan Scripts, Fonts & Related Issues > Tibetan Input Tools for Windows > Dzongkha Unicode Keyboard
Contributor(s): Chris Fynn.
Based on layout designed jointly by the Dzongkha Development Authority and Department of Information Technology, Royal Government of Bhutan, Chris Fynn has created a Windows XP system keyboard that may be used for input of Dzongkha or Tibetan Unicode text in Microsoft Windows applications. The keyboard was created, and may be modified, using Microsoft's Keyboard Layout Creator (MSKLC). It comes as a self-installing file along with the souce code. Once installed, the keyboard can be assigned to any "unused" language on one's computer and is activated by choosing that language through the language bar.
Windows XP Installation Instructions:
- Download and extract the files in the zip archive to a temporary folder.
- In Windows Explorer, navigate to the folder where you extracted the files.
- Double click on the installer file kbd_Dz.msi to install.
Once installed, the keyboard must be assigned to a language currently supported by Windows.
- Go to the Control Panel from the Start Menu
- Choose Regional and Language Options
- Choose the Languages Tab
- Click on the "Details" button under Text Services & Input Languages
- Under the Settings Tab click the "Add" button
- Under "Input Language" choose an unused language (e.g. "Faroese" or "Konkani")
- Then under Keyboard Layout/IME choose "Dzongkha" and click OK.
The Dzongkha input method (keyboard) is now assigned to that language and it will appear as "Faroese" or "Konkani" (or whichever language you selected) in your taskbar. If the language bar does not appear, go to the Control Panel and choose Regional and Language Options. Under the Languages Tab, click the "Details" button within Text Services & Input Languages. Under the Settings tab, click on the "Language Bar" button and then click the box next to "Show the Language Bar on the desktop".
Note: This Dzongkha keyboard was created, and may be modified, using Microsoft's Keyboard Layout Creator (MSKLC) - the MSKLC source file (kbd_Dz.klc) is contained in the archive.