Panoramas of Sera Monastery in Tibet
(tre hor rung khang)
Related Resource Links:
Images of Trehor Kitchen
THL Reference Number: s062b
College Affiliation: Jé (byes)
Regional House Affiliation: Trehor (tre hor)
Tre hor khang tshan is renowned for having produced some of the most important scholars in se ra history. Some of the more important teachers in recent memory include tre hor chos mdzad (d. in Tibet prior to 1959); mkhas zur blo bzang dbang phyug (d. 1980's, se ra, India); dge bshes ngag dbang dar rgyas (1921-1995), who taught for many years at the Library of Tibetan Works and Archives in Dharamsala, India, where he became the teacher to many Western students; and dge bshes rab brtan (1920 - 1986), see http://www.rabten.com/GesheRabten.htm.
The tre hor khang tshan temple used to be flanked on three sides by monastic quarters. Only the west wing of these rooms exists today. The main khang tshan temple used to be 5 stories tall. The top two stories were destroyed and have not been rebuilt. These used to house bla ma residences. The second story above the temple contained, on one side, the residence of the ""khang tshan teacher"" (khang tshan dge rgan), and on the other side, the meeting hall for the senior staff. The protector deity chapel of this khang tshan was, and continues to be, on the second floor as well. The small building at the southeastern corner of the khang tshan temple is the newly re-built kitchen. The murals inside tre hor khang tshan are said to be almost entirely original. (Two small areas were repainted due to water damage). The murals include the 80 deeds of tsong kha pa. The upper part of the main altar used to contain a multitude of small tsong kha pa statues, but these no longer exist. The funds for the renovation of the khang tshan came mostly from older ex-monks and from lay sponsors.