Sera Monastery

Homepage Link

Panoramas of Sera Monastery in Tibet


Yerpa Regional House Headquarters
(g.yer pa khang tshan)


<-- Back to Panorama

Related Resource Links:

Images of Yerpa Regional House Headquarters

THL Reference Number: s029

College Affiliation: M (smad)

Regional House Affiliation: Yerpa (g.yer pa)

A large, well-preserved regional house (khang tshan) of M College (grwa tshang smad), today its monastic population is proportionately much larger than it was before 1959. This may be due to the fact that both the present abbot and the chant master of the monastery both hail from this house. The temple has been restored, and all of the statues are new. There appears to be one old tangkha (thang kha) of Taok (tha og) still hanging in the temple.

Before 1959 the abbot of Tpa College (stod pa mkhan po) was an honorary position given to a senior monk of Sera (se ra). This is a vestige of the days when there existed a Tpa College. The last abbot of Tpa lived on the top floor of this regional house, above the temple. He served as abbot of the the society of lamas (bla spyi), which was the administrative body responsible for the common affairs of all three colleges together.

 
 

<-- Back to Panorama


Loading...