Panoramas of Sera Monastery in Tibet
Gungru Regional House Headquarters
Related Resource Links:
Images of Gungru Regional House Headquarters
THL Reference Number: s010
College Affiliation: Mé (smad)
Regional House Affiliation: Gungru (gung ru)
This regional house was destroyed in 1959, and has since completely rebuilt with private donations. The renovation work was completed in 1994. Only two buildings have been restored, however: the khang tshan temple (3 story), and a small, one-story building opposite the temple that contains monks' quarters and a kitchen. The interior walls of the temple lack any murals, since the monks did not receive sufficient donations to have this artwork done. All statuary is new. The main altar contains a statue of gung ru rgyal mtshan bzang po (1383-1450), one of the early holders of the se ra throne, and an important figure in the establishment of philosophical studies at the monastery.