by José Ignacio Cabezón and THL.
Trashi ChölingBkra shis chos gling has had a long and complex relationship to SeraSe ra. The hermitage did not become the property of SeraSe ra until the early eighteenth century, when it passed into the hands of the Sera Tantric College (Sera Ngakpa DratsangSe ra sngags pa grwa tshang) (see below). In the 1920s or 1930s, the Tantric College (Ngakpa DratsangSngags pa grwa tshang) donated the hermitage to Pabongkha Dechen NyingpoPha bong kha bde chen snying po. From 1930 until 1959, then, the hermitage belonged to the Pabongkha Lama’s estate. Since that time it has therefore not belonged to SeraSe ra, although it has had informal ties both to the Mé College (Dratsang MéGrwa tshang smad), and to the Sera Tantric College, the two loci of Pabongkha RinpochéPha bong kha rin po che’s affiliations to SeraSe ra. From the 1990s, when the hermitage was rebuilt, up to the present time, Trashi ChölingBkra shis chos gling has functioned as an autonomous institution with only minimal ties to SeraSe ra.6 The hermitage reverted to the Pabongkha Lama’s estate after the present incarnation’s recent return to Tibet.