Tibetan and Himalayan Library - THL

THL Title Text
A Survey of Bonpo Monasteries
by Dondrup Lhagyal, Phuntso Tsering Sharyul, Tsering Thar, Charles Ramble and Marietta Kind
Edited by Samten G. Karmay and Yasuhiko Nagano
National Museum of Ethnology and THL
Reproduced with permission from the authors
under the THL Digital Text License.

(5) bDe chen sgang Hermitage

3. History

bDe chen sgang was originally a hermitage established by the recluse sPa ston dPal mchog (b.1040) of the sacred Bonpo family known as sPa, whose seat was found in La phug village. Later, the hermitage was extended into a monastery by sPa dPal ldan bzang po and then became an important centre of learning for Bonpo followers in Western Tibet. The monastery produced several monk-scholars: for example, Tre ston rGyal mtshan dpal who had compiled a type of encyclopedia, in the monastery, of Bon and Buddhist doctrines, entitled Bon sgo gsal byed and the well-known historian, sPa bsTan rgyal bzang po, who wrote several works in the same place in the 15th century. Later, a branch of the sPa family migrated to Ye tha, in the Hor region, northern Tibet, where it became prosperous, and as a result the monastery at La phug declined and became once again a hermitage. It is still a small hermitage where a few married religious practitioners (ser khyim) reside.

/bonpo-monasteries/b4-5-3/

Note Citation for Page

Dondrup Lhagyal, Phuntso Tsering Sharyul, Tsering Thar, Charles Ramble, and Marietta Kind, A Survey of Bonpo Monasteries and Temples in Tibet and the Himalaya (Osaka: National Museum of Ethnology, 2003), .

Bibliographic Citation

Dondrup Lhagyal, Phuntso Tsering Sharyul, Tsering Thar, Charles Ramble, and Marietta Kind. A Survey of Bonpo Monasteries and Temples in Tibet and the Himalaya. Osaka: National Museum of Ethnology, 2003.