Media Data Importer Instructions
Follow these instructions and you will soon be batch importing video metadata records into the Video Database.
- Apple Macintosh Computer
- The MediaDataImporter Applescript. If you do not have this, you can download the source and open it with Apple's "Script Editor" Application. Just click the run button to use the script
- BBEdit. If you don't have BBEdit, you can try globally replacing BBEdit in the script source with SimpleText(OS9) or Text Editor (OSX). Easier yet, download the free version of BBEdit Lite.
- QuickTime Player 6 or higher. You can use five as long as you aren't importing any mpeg-4s.
- FTP Access to the video server you are using. Usually that server will be hitchcock.itc.virginia.edu
Here are the steps to take to use the batch media data importer. If you do not follow these steps in order, you will experience difficulties.
- Copy the movie files you want to import into a folder by themselves
- If you haven't already done so, upload them to the video server
- Open the Media Data Importer applescript
- Navigate to the folder that contains the movies you want to import, highlight that folder and click the "choose" button. Make sure this folder does not contain other movies that you do not want to import.
- Now wait for the applescript to do it's magic. When the script is finished, ie no more movies are opening in quicktime and bbedit has stopped typing lines of text, save the resulting text file with a .txt extension
- Return to the Batch Media Import Page